
I have worked my way through all the photo's now I am going through all the various paper work

The photos I could not work out who they were I have put in bags and will take them when I visit relatives to see if anyone can help me.
I am now putting all the written material in date order
I have to say it has been more emotional than I expected .

This is a letter Great Uncle Ted sent to his wife my Great Auntie Eliza Jane
It was sent on Feb 14th Valentines day, in it he tells his wife that he longs to hold her in his arms and that he is pleased the dr is happy with how her 3rd pregnancy is going and how he is keeping his fingers crossed for a little girl to go with there two boys ! He is sorry he did not get leave to be able to spend Christmas with all.
The sad thing is the next thing she got on the 18th February was a telegram to say he was killed in action... He never got to see his third child which was a boy named Ted after him.

This is a letter my Great Aunt got from the king regarding his death

I found this card send to my Great Uncle Ted from his two boys, this is over 75 years old yet the painting the boys did for their dad are still as bright as when they painted them.
It makes me think will people find our cards we have made for there loved ones in 75 years time!!!!!!
Next week I hope to show you how I have put my album together and the papers I am using
I haven't achieved much else in my crafting this week except making a tag or two using a Star template I won in my stash of stuff for runner up for Scrapbooker of the year 2012

Thank you for stopping by you can find out more about visiting people's work desks by clicking on the Stamping ground blog link on the right hand side of my blog.
As an Army wife, I teared up reading your post. What memories you are saving!!! I can easily see why it would be emotional to do these pages. An interesting thought...I never wondered about my cards until you brought it up! Hopefully someone will deem them worthy enough to save, lol!
ReplyDeleteHappy Crafting!
Jeannie #12
I was preparing a lovely comment about how great it is that you are sorting your family history so successfully and then bam! you share such sad news from the past, but at least your great aunt got the love letter first! Have a good day. helen, 9
ReplyDeleteThat is so so sad about Great Uncle Ted. Even though he didn't come back, I think it is rather lovely that he sent such a lovely letter to his wife. There is nothing better than finding an old photograph and making a start trying to piece it together. I hope you get some answers when you see your relatives. Lucy #23 x
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing in your journey :) Made me tear up
ReplyDeleteKerry @ 1
oh my! sorting family photos is emotional work, but when there's touching letters aswell... it's a beautiful thing you're doing and future generations will treasure it, i'm sure!
ReplyDeletehappy WOYWW and a have wonderful week :)
no. 5
Oh gosh I can feel all the emotions you must be going through.
ReplyDeleteIt is my aim this year to do a scrap book on my dad who I didn't know anything about until I found him 30yrs later. I know I will have tears but they will be happy tears as the two of us are so close now.
Congrats on all the hard work you have already put in it will all be worth it
Ria
How cool to have all that family history, even if you don't have ever detail, I'm sure it will be something to treasure for many more years once you've sorted it all.
ReplyDeleteHappy Desk Hopping Day
Hugz Minxy #59
So amazing to have all those photos and so much more than many have. You are going to enjoy this forever. Oh and I just love that paper you are working on (with the star stencil) and can't wait to see more. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteMA (3)
Well done! Runner up is a huge achievement, and you should be really pleased - especially with al the new toys!! I think your photos, their stories and the way you're treating them is a real labour of love; it will be marvellous thing to preserve these alongside your own scrapbooks for the future generations.
ReplyDeleteI love family history but it can be heartbreaking at times, it really can, all those hopes and dreams over with in an instant. I'm happy that you want to preserve all the memories though. My husband was born in Trumpington and most of his paternal side are from the county too, it's fascinating stuff. Love how the stencil came out,it's really pretty.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Brenda 91
How very moving all those memories are. It makes me want to complete the scrapbook I started last year, though I haven't got letters only photographs.
ReplyDeleteCarol.x #56
How lovely to have all those photos and documents full of intimate family memories. So special to keep them and order them etc. The star template looks amazing. Happy WOYWW. Thanks for sharing. Caro #60
ReplyDeleteWhat a busy bunny with all the family stuff. Not sure which box you meant but the Timmy covered one is just papers and bits and bobs, address book etc. Thanks for popping by my desk - Happy WOYWW BJ#42
ReplyDeleteOh wow what a story to have such treasure to be able to share lovely-thanks for sharing - Nicky #13
ReplyDeleteIt's very sad that he died before he saw his new baby son, but the memories are still very much alive. My mum is into the family tree and has made a huge table cloth with every one's name on it! She's found out all sorts of things. When clever out my grandfather's house some year ago she found all the cards I'd sent as a child right up to the present day. Not sure what she did with them though! Happy WOYWW!
ReplyDelete(Lyn) #8
Hello fellow Papermaze shopper and cropper, we often go to Lou's wokshops, or have done the last few, and are scheduled to go to Feb's crop too. Look out for bears at the crop. :)
ReplyDeleteI and a fiend are planning on going to that crop to so will look our for the bears
DeleteHi Jackie, I'm so impressed at the headway you are making with your heritage photos. I've been just scrapping mine as and when, with no real plan to work on - maybe I should follow your suit. I look forward to following your progress with this project over the coming weeks. Hope you've had a happy WOYWW, Elizabeth x #71
ReplyDeleteIsn't it cool to delve into family history. One would never think certain aunt / uncles were romantic, yet there is proof out there. How lucky you are to have those family treasures! Happy WOYWW! Nan 107
ReplyDeletewhat great letters you have there. These things must always be treasured and passed on so you are doing a great thing.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing your desk today Jackie...happy scrapping...happy WOYWW hugs kath xxx
ReplyDeleteO! How lovely. I think it is great to make this for posterity. Finding photos after my Mam died was one of the reasons that I started blogging. I realised that a lot of 'stuff' gets chucked without anyone knowing the whos and whys.
ReplyDeleteSad story but such love.
Thank you for sharing
Thank you for your comments on mine - stitching all posted
In my family, I'm known as the history-keeper. I have all the photos, bibles, letters, birth certificates (as well as wedding and death certs too)... and so many bits of paper and notelets it will take me half my lifetime to get through them - but isn't it a wonderful feeling to have such a connection to your past? Even with the sadder moments such as Gt Uncle Ted's passing. One line of my family is traced back to the 1600's - all done by me! You can blame my famly for one-arm bandits in the UK, some of the first fish and chip shops, one of the first members of the royal air force, the sprayer nozzle on your hose, and the first person to drive a car n the UK (chauffeur - we're a poor lot! *lol*)
ReplyDeleteSo, as you can guess - I LOVE your workdesk :)
Bubbles #27
Oh gosh, I got a bit teary-eyed too reading your story. So many sad stories like that from that time.. somewhere I have a photo of my grandad and my two great uncles, all in uniform. It was taken in the back garden of my great great grandmother's house on the day they all arrived home from the war... in a time where nearly everyone lost someone, my grandma was incredibly lucky that not only did her fiancé and her two brothers survive, but they all actually got home on the same day.
ReplyDeleteSorry, waffled on a bit there. But let's face it, preserving memories like these, both good and bad, is a lot of what scrapbooking is about. :)
Ali #73
P.S. Your star tag is lovely. :)
Oh Jackie what a brilliant job you're doing keeping all those special treasures safe and ready for generations ahead to appreciate.
ReplyDeleteI know how emotional this kind of project can be...I started to record some of my family history and it takes its toll but so worth it!
Have fun this weekend :D
Neesie ♥ #16
Such great memories to scrapbook - good luck with your family history.
ReplyDelete