
I found this blog while I was visiting a craft desk on Wednesday on WOYWW ( what's on your work desk Wednesday) . So I thought I would have a go and join in as I spend as much time on my Heritage/Ancestory hobby and I do on my Scrapbooking
This is a scrapbook layout I did about my Great Grandfather Basil Edwards who like his father and his grandfather was a fisherman. He lived in Grimsby where he worked. This layout shows life on the boat catching the fish and also the other side

Of catching mines in the nets of the boats. I also incorporated his death certificate which shows just how dangerous it was, as that was in fact what killed him.
I did a second layout on the same theme showing life on the fishing boat, washing the decks down etc. both a little different, not sure which I prefer, the main thing is I am recording my family history for the generations who follow me. That way the photos are not just passed down in a box with no names or stories and get thrown away, by those who have no idea that it is there past, the people who have them there genetics to make them who they are today!

If you are interested in family history and Scrapbooking, I have written a series in Scrapbook magazine about Heritage Scrapbooking, part2 in out now and can be purchased in most WH Smiths.

Thank you for stopping by and please leave a comment and I will visit your blog and comment on your post.
Welcome to Sepia Saturday. You've done an excellent job of marrying old family photos with ephemera and weaving it into a scrapbook theme, and it's a great first contribution to SS - look forward to seeing more from your collection.
ReplyDeleteWelcome! I love your pages. I agree with you that the scrapbook provides a story to go with pictures that might make no sense to later generations. One of my great uncles served on a minesweeper when he was in the Navy. His photos include several shots of explosions. What a terrible thing for fishermen to inadvertently catch a mine in their nets.
ReplyDeleteA hearty welcome from me too Jackie (a popular name here on SS).Those pages are works of art! I endorse your drive to pass on information to future generations and hope they appreciate it as much we Sepians and genealogists do. Thanks for your comment on my blog - fancy us having Chapel St.Leonards and Skeggy in common. I had many happy days there too- born in Nottingham and lived in Lincoln for many years. We have a Facebook group which you may like to join too.
ReplyDeleteMarilyn (aka Little Nell)
Welcome to Sepia Saturday.
ReplyDeleteGreat Work with your scrap booking.
Welcome, delighted you found us. What a wonder beginning you bring today as well!
ReplyDeleteAnother welcome to the world of Sepia Saturday which is a great supportive network of fellow enthusiasts of family history and old (and not so old) photographs). I found your scrapbook portrayal of the family story fascinating, and particularly liked the way you used the fishing net as a decoration. I look forward to reading your next posts.
ReplyDeleteJackie, I also add my Welcome to Sepia Saturday. I am a comparatively newcomer to the group, but find a great place with folks who have innovative ideas and a diverse skill set. I too liked your addition of combining scrapbooking with the photos and theme. Welcome, again.
ReplyDeleteI was tickled to see the name 'Grimsby' in your writing. I've written a novelette in which a shipping company was based in Grimsby - choosing that name and port from information I gathered online
ReplyDeleteHi Jackie - I'd never thought about catching mines! Dangerous work indeed. Welcome to Sepia Saturday. Hope you have lots of fun :)
ReplyDeleteYou will get an impression of how close, supportive and friendly the Sepia Saturday group is by the welcome messages you have already received - and to these I add my own. It is great to have you on board and giving us a new perspective to the use and enjoyment of old photographs.
ReplyDeleteWelcome from a fellow Jackie - same spelling too!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you have presented your photos - it is a much more interesting way to present the family history.
Welcome from me too. I knew Grimsby well when we lived in Scunthorpe and played hockey there many times. I've made a scrapbook but I have enough cuttings to make a dozen or two.
ReplyDeleteIt must have been horrifying to pull up a mine and worse to have it explode on you.Welcome to Sepia Saturday.
ReplyDeleteWelcome I'm fairly new too. You are right it is great to have the family history written down for the next generations. It would be lovely to see it set out so well in your scrap books. Sad about your GGrandfather fishing up mines and ending his life.
ReplyDeleteI also am a digiscrapper, though I haven't tackled my family photos yet. I put so many of them on my blog. Glad you have joined the Sepians, we have a lot of fun. Excellent first outing!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Sepia, Jackie! And you're certainly off to a good start -- great way to preserve (and enhance) family history! I'm looking forward to further posts!
ReplyDeleteWell, well, look at you now!!
ReplyDeleteI told you in my answer to your comment on my blog that you'd find "your own way"... I had no idea!!
Well done!!.
One small detail though:
Is it possible, when we click on your pics, that they show a tad larger so we could better enjoy the many details? Or is that the standard format in which they'll always appear? Just a suggestion.
I must say I love what you've done,
very creative and entertaining. So, for the 3rd time, Welcome!!
BTW:
Since these involve a lot of work, just know that being on "theme" with the weekly prompt is not mandatory. Do as you think is best, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have nothing that fits within the theme, just show us something you like and care about. It'll be just fine!
:)~
HUGZ