
This was our inspirational photo this week!
Was he a man with two wives?
Well here is my contribution this week....
These are two of my family photos the first is my Great Grandfather Basil Edwards and his second wife Kate

And this one is Annie his first wife

Here is a scrapbook layout I did with these photos

The story is a sad story.......
Annie and Basil were married and had four children, one of which was my Grandfather. I was told by my mothers cousin George,who was taken by his mum to visit his Grandad Basil and Grandma Annie, as a small child, that she was a lovely lady kind and loving. She had a small gift for him on one visit of a little tin clockwork mouse, she had hidden in the bottom drawer of a dresser.
Grandad Basil on the other hand was not so nice and kept a stick by the side of his chair, and would say to George that if he moved he would use the stick to hit him.He was so awful to my Grandfather, his son that he left home before he was sixteen and went to live with his mothers mother in Boston and did a carpenters six year apprenticeship. My Grandad had won a scholarship to the Grammar school but Basil would not let him go, as in his eyes there was no point, as he expected my Grandfather to join him and go to sea as a fisherman like he had done, with his father.He was not poor, he had been brought up as a child in a household with servants.Sadly he was not nice to Annie and friends would tell her to leave him, as she was a fantastic dressmaker she could earn her keep, she would not hear of such a thing and said she had married for better or worse and she was his wife and would stay put, she had not come from such a good background as Basil's had.
In those days it did not take much for a man to get his wife put into an asylum. He got a doctor to sign the forms and she was sent to Bracebridge Asylum, near Lincoln,where I found her on the census.
He soon after went on to marry Kate his second wife. He got his comeuppance though..... He died a couple of years later still in his 50's!
My mother and I only found all this out a few years ago. It helped my mother understand why her father never took her to see her Grandad and Grandmother.
What a sad story. Did Annie die in the asylum? By coincidence I have just been reading a novel on a similar theme, where a daughter (a bit rebellious and unconventional) was committed to an asylum in Edinburgh by her father in the 1920's. It seemed to be a bit more common than we like to think.
ReplyDeleteYes Annie died there
DeleteAgain you are writing about an area I knew; Bracebridge was a place to be feared at one time. Poor Annie.
ReplyDeletePoor Annie. I hope she got out of the asylum but I bet she didn't.
ReplyDeleteSadly she died there I think many people were put in such places that should have not been there
DeleteKat's right -- the guy was a total RAT.
ReplyDeleteI think asylums were full of women who fought back. Little better than the "mysterious kitchen fires" which were so common in India. I feel so sorry for Annie.
ReplyDeleteI worked as a crisis intervenor at an emergency shelter for women. There are still men (today) who think that they have a divine right to control their wives. Sad...on the other hand,there are many marriages of nowadays, where equality is shared..nice.
ReplyDeleteThere must be more to the story. Did Annie have family? Have you found the asylum records to see what her medical history was there?
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you have a photo of her.
What a sad story!
ReplyDeleteI think others may have hit the nail on the head - asylums were full of women who stood up to their men - I guess I'd have been locked away well quite young if I lived in those times :)
That is a sad tale. I wonder how many family members were locked away because someone wanted them out of the way for whatever reason.
ReplyDeleteBasil sounds like an awful man. What a sad story!
ReplyDeleteI often wonder what it is these men have that attracts women - he must have had something to have two wives. Women were often put away when they became an inconvenience. For an excellent novel on this theme read Sebastian Barry's The Secret Scripture' (won the Costa Award in 2008).
ReplyDeleteThank you for the book recommendation I have just ordered it !
DeleteAs usual, I really like your scrapbooking. So nice that you honor and remember Annie in this way.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awful growing up for your grandfather, but an even worse life for his mother. Terrible that in those days women had such little means of recourse, and their situations were so often ignored by authorities.
ReplyDeleteOh my, how awful indeed. I never knew of anyone in our family going to one of those places, but I have heard stories of just how easy it was. So very sad, I just can't understand how the world ever allowed that, back then.
ReplyDeleteSuch an interesting family story, even in the shocking details. Sad for sure. What a contrast with today's world where it is very difficult to commit someone. In the news recently here in Virginia, a drunk driver killed a 16-year old girl. The sad thing is the man's daughter had tried to get him help -- she called everyone to try to keep him off the road but everyone's hands were tied. Up to that point he hadn't hurt anyone and he hadn't asked for help. Too bad his daughter didn't have the rights Basil had!
ReplyDeleteBut what happened to the first wife?
ReplyDeleteWas she released after he died?
What was the point of keeping her there otherwise?...
:(~
HUGZ