Tuesday, 9 April 2013

What's on my work desk this week

This is how my desk looks at the moment.....



Somewhat rather piled high with one thing on top of another!!!!!
You can see some stamps, cutter,paints, photo's, kitchen roll etc etc and a Scrapbook layout I have done this week.
Here is a close up of the layout about my Great Great Grandfather Robert Edwards a fisherman from Grimsby.



It's not as clear a photo as I would have liked but it gives you an idea.The background I made using my Gelli plate and a few stencils and bubble wrap below are a few step by step pictures to show you.



First I found on of those thin plastic dividers and put it on my cricut mat and cut out a little saying from the Life's a Beach cartridge "gone fishin"


Once this was cut out (which was just the same as using a sheet of thick paper) I had a custom made mask for use with my Gelli plate.
Next I sorted out sea coloured inks



Then placed the mask I hade made on my gelli plate and inked up the Gelli plate and brayered the ink all over the plate then lifted the mask off


Then I put texture onto the Gelli plate with stencils and bubble wrap


Then I placed part of my 12x12 Kraft card stock onto the gelli plate, re inked the plate with the same colours then placed a different part of the card stock on the Gelli plate until all the 12 x12 was coloured a sea colour, ensuring I did not go over the part where my stencil I had made was!!



Once dry, (about five mins) I then did a little sewing..... To attach the net


After that I mounted the photo and put that into position


Next I used my cricut to cut out the letters for his name and the information at the bottom of the layout, I cut them in Kraft card stock. Then added a little more net and sewed it on. I also added an arrow to point out which was my Great Great Grandfather ( and.... To cover a x my relative had put over him to show which one was our Great Great Grandfather!!!!)


Then just to finish it I stamped a few sea life creatures and fish!


Well I hope you like what I did with my Gelli plate !!
If you enjoyed looking at my desk and would like to visit more please click on the link on the right hand side of my blog marked Stamping Ground and all will be explained.

53 comments:

  1. Looks truly amazing, Jackie. I love the 'fishing net.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome!!
    Dont you love the gelli plate!!?

    Happy wednesday ;)

    Hugs Marleen #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very attractive background.Love the blues.
    judy #5

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat layout! How cool to be able to scrap your family history! Love what you did with the gelli plate. Happy WOYWW! Nan #8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic layout that really tells the story. Love the net. Happy WOYWW. Pam#23

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever to use a mask with your plate. Thanks for the step out photos. #23

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Wednesday, I hope you are having, or going to have, or have already had a great day (dependent on where exactly in the world you are!)
    Love the layout.
    Neil #7

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible layout!! GORGEOUS!!! You've captured the sea so well - bravo!

    Happy Crafting!
    Jeannie #32

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great backgrounds!! I may have to find room for a Gelli plate... lol!! Have a great day. Helen, 8

    ReplyDelete
  10. love how you captured the mood so well...
    Grimsby is just up the road from me!

    Your pages are all so full of emotion and love.

    Hugs
    Emily#60

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you have used the gelli plate for the papers. I also use my Cricut to cut letters etc for my gelli plate.

    Happy WOYWW
    Eliza 47

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite the blue study you've got going on this week! Love the layout and the fishing net is genius! Happy WOYWW Cindy #63

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous, the work and creativity you have put into your project is Inspirational. love every detail x
    Happy WOYWW Heather #73

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous background and layout.
    Happy Wednesday #83

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful LO. We love the netting as a finishing touch. We have a gelli plate on order and really can't wait to start playing.

    Thanks for your visit today :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am trying to resist buying one of those plates - you make it look so interesting. Thanks for the step by step look.
    Love the addition of the nettling - a really lovely tribute to a great man.
    Thanks for visiting me earlier - Hugs, Neet number 16 xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. AsI have not spent much on stash etc over the past year due to a lost Mojo, I have not seen one of these plates in use ....wow ...that is an amazing background ...and and an even more amazing final LO. As a lover of family history I hope you record his life somewhere to go with this amazing piece of art.xx71

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your designs. SueC#98

    ReplyDelete
  19. My dad was a fisher man and I recognize the 'feel' - I love that you included the net! (I still remember the fishermen making these... I learned that technique myself too but have not done it in ages...) Happy woyww and hug from Holland, Marit #82

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely layout, I really need a gelli plate!
    Thank you for stopping by.
    Karen #74

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely layout, I really need a gelli plate!
    Thank you for stopping by.
    Karen #74

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'm so glad i enlarged your desk pic to see ALL the wonderful creations and bits & bobs! lovely that you sewed the net on - much more in keeping than glue!
    happy WOYWW and have a great week :)
    no. 4

    ReplyDelete
  23. am loving the gelli plate examples! Happy WOYWW! Lindsay #93

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great layout! Love the background you made and the use of the net! Fun arrow also. I have not tried the Geli Plate, have to go look that up and find out what it is...Love the look you got!! Thanks for the visit! Winnie#76

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your desk looks fabulous! I just love the layout...I do lots of fishing and boating layouts...your net is fab...never thought of sewing it down...brilliant idea...thanks for the inspiration. Thanks for visiting me earlier
    Scrappymo #30

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your page. It rings a bell with me because I live on an island in Maine where fishing is the only industry. We have a building that was once a clam factory, and there is a pile of 100 year old seining twine (net). I frequently use it on my cards too.

    It was fun visiting your workdesk! Kathi #109

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's such a great layout! I love the texture from the net and the background is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow your desk looks so creative with all the blue love your finished l/o looks fantastic hugs Nikki #2

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very impressed with how you made your layout. I still haven't unpacked my gelli plate - I think I need to get some tubes of paint that is of a thicker consistency than the Pebeo paints I have already. Now that I've seen what can be done, I'm itching to give it a try. Way back in the late 60s I spent a 3-month spell working on the site of Lindsay Oil Refinery - for the main contractor - in Immingham and loved to take the bus into Grimsby on Saturday to shop at the market, so you've brought it back to mind with your lovely photo of your great-great-grandfather. Not that I'm that old ... just that Grimsby was an important fishing community :) Happy WOYWW, Elizabeth x #41

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great page there and nice to see how you achieved the look. Super old photo too, wonderful memory captured there. Thanks for visiting me today BJ#20

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your background! It's so interesting to see how you did it...all that layering and different textures, really fab!
    Hugs, LLJ 35 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't say I want a geli plate, not really knowing what they are...not raspberry is it!?! I just use any plate i have! Have a great crafty Week!! HaPPy WoYwW!

    ((Lyn)) #52

    ReplyDelete
  33. lovely scrapbook page, if i had more old photos id do the same for my family history.

    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  34. awesome effects from using the Gelli Plate. I still haven't given in and bought one but I am definitely liking what I am seeing made from them! Thanks for sharing and have a great week! Vickie #58

    ReplyDelete
  35. 'The Glide' is a Harley Davidson Street Glide motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  36. FAbulous.... like a tutorial! I am trying to visit everyone! jenx 129

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a labor of love, Jackie, and what a beautiful result!! That sewn net takes this over the top! Thanks so much for coming by to see me! Have a great week!! Darnell #47

    ReplyDelete
  38. Like the colors you used on the Gelli Plate as well as the Cricut stencil - looking to use my Cricut to make stencils and foam stamps myself.

    Thanks for visiting!
    Joel (aka Barf Snoodlefart, #141)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I DO like what you did with your Gelli--perfect background for that fab photo!

    :)trisha
    #142 this week with
    a hand carved stamp

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lots of love in this LO. So, much to look at. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wellllllll dagnabbit! I've been carefully avoiding gelli plates and your lot of crafty pages has just lured me in. Seriously gorgeous. Love the bits of netting too. Excellent use of your Cricut. Love that arrow. Wonderful page, so much depth. Thanks for visiting. #152

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love, love, love your scrap book page honoring your grandfather. It's truly a work of art, and your love for him comes through in living colors. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for visiting me this week. SueC#98

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW! What a great scrapbook page layout and enjoyed the step-by-step breakdown! This is only my second week with the WOYWW gang but sure am trying to get around and visit as many desks as possible this week!! Have an awesome weekend coming up!
    Debbie (#136) at

    DayLee’s Creative Doodling

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW! What a great scrapbook page layout and enjoyed the step-by-step breakdown! This is only my second week with the WOYWW gang but sure am trying to get around and visit as many desks as possible this week!! Have an awesome weekend coming up!
    Debbie (#136) at

    DayLee’s Creative Doodling

    ReplyDelete
  46. Another great LO, really love the string and the colours you used. I can also see you've got more photos waiting in the wings there.

    Re the sarnies, I have a minor wheat intolerance so as soon as I can get back on to the lunch time salads after winter and eat less bread and carbs in general I feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oooh love your gelli plate layout! I've only used mine once or twice since getting it - really must find time to play more! :D

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my WOYWW post.

    Ali #80

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love your piles! feels so homey.
    I'm seriously wanting a digital die cutter.
    I just posted the pressed flower tut.
    http://rainbowweaves.blogspot.com/2013/04/pressing-flowers-in-grand-calibur.html

    Blessings,
    robyn 133

    ReplyDelete
  49. what a cool photo to have! Brilliant page.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Well done - a real tribute to your great great grandfather. I like the colours.
    Margaret (glitterandglue #143)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great layout,love the step by step tutorial!

    ReplyDelete