Saturday, 14 September 2013

Sepia Saturday




This is the prompt for this weeks Sepia Saturday photograph, it's a lady sewing the American flag.
Mine is a tentative link.....



This is a picture of a tapestry my Grandmother made when she was a young girl, its now over 80 years old and I keep it to remind me of her, although one night it fell off the wall at about 2am, the glass smashed and it scared the living daylights out of me !!!



Here is a scrapbook layout I did of my Great Great Grandmother who was a nurse, she is sat at a small table in her nurses outfit like the lady in the prompt photo is sat at a small table! As a nurse she mainly dealt with child birth and lying out the dead. I decided to use the yellow, pink and blue buttons on the layout because of her being a midwife most of her time!

If you enjoy old photographs and family history please pop over to the sepia Saturday blog where you will find links to many more.

13 comments:

  1. I love the tapestry. It's like an old master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the tapestry......and your reflection taking the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a fine tapestry for a young girl. Your grandmother must have been very talented in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tapestry or needlework project was often a mark of accomplishment, almost a graduation for girls of that era. I like the scrapbook layout too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tapestry. Now that's a skill I never acquired. Great that your grandmother's work is being treasured now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful tapestry family heirloom.
    I can remember doing some tapestry with my Nanna but don't think I've done any in my adult life - a shame really, the end product is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, tapestry is an art I never really managed to accomplish, but I have a lovely framed tapestry done by my husband's grandmother Doris, who lived to 101 and created many lovely pieces, and I even have a footstool with a tapestry top that was worked by my father when he and my mother were engaged, while she was sewing her trousseau! He also did a top for a coffee table, which my brother now has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have old embroideries done by my antecedents and I treasure them too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fascinating post, Jackie. How wonderful to have the tapestry sewn by your grandmother and I do like the way you interpreted the photograph for your scrapbook entry. Your story reminded me of my own grandmother who I never knew. She too helped in her local community with nursing, births and layout out. Unfortunately I have hardly any photographs of her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A midwife must have had lots of interesting stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely heirloom. It's certainly reminiscent of a Vermeer painting.

    ReplyDelete